Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Slightly From The Left

I'm what they call "legally blind" or "visually impaired." The latter is a better term, but all it really means is that I can't drive. It also is the reason I hated books as a child, because I couldn't read them unless they were in large print, which few books are. Then I got this wonderful piece of technology that consists of a giant monitor and a camera. You put books under it and the print appears larger on the screen. Now I love books. I also love writing. I still fail those eye tests though.

I was born at 24 weeks. As you may know, the average full-term pregnancy is 40 weeks. At first everyone assumed I was going to die, but after several surgeries and months in the hospital, everything seemed to be working right...except my eyes.

An infection left them with no choice but to remove my lenses, lest I become completely blind. So here I am 16 years later with an almost entirely useless right eye. I make due though. I'll be fine.

Anyway, in art class we had been assigned self portraits, which involves looking at yourself in a mirror and drawing what you see. This is when I noticed that I can't actually look at myself straight on; I will always see my face slightly from the left. In fact, my whole world view is slightly from the left and never realized it before.

We all have different perspectives, sometimes without realizing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment