Monday, June 6, 2011

Sucking

My desire to write poetry comes to life like a match and dims just as quickly. Today I don't want to write poetry. In fact, today I don't want to do much of anything.

I mainly write fanfiction. But before you stop reading, hear me out. I write decent fanfiction, or I try to anyway. Many of the negative stereotypes those who write it receive are partly deserved, but its reputation is not always accurate.

My best friend, McKenzie McCann - You'll hear about her a lot; she also blogs and she's part of the reason I'm writing this now - has written three books. She's sixteen. I will be sixteen later this month as well. I've never written a book, although I do hope to one day be a published author.

Maureen Johnson, who as you might guess is a professional author, once said that you have to give yourself permission to suck for many years before you are ready to write something decent. I've written fanfiction for years, and it's something I'm generally comfortable with. The same goes for poetry more or less. Maybe in the process of all this I'll learn to be comfortable with blogging, too. Just bear with me, folks, and you're welcome to come along for the ride.

My point is that much of our lives can summed up in the same way. We are born, we suck for a while, then we learn to be comfortable with ourselves. It applies to more than just writing.

I thank you, humble reader, for taking time to read my ramblings.

- Blessings to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment